Thursday, March 5, 2015

Catch You On The Flipside.

I have a habit of following my feet.

They always point to where I would like to go.

Often enough, I never know where that will be until I'm practically there.

My stomach is much of the same; I want Thai, Vietnamese, deep fried mac n cheese, ramen, brisket, fresh apples, and pickled green beans on a dime.

I always know a good idea of what I'm looking for... of what I want.

There's this bizarre spark in me that knows.

I have friends that ask me what's for dinner, where they should go eat.... what they should drink--whether it be beer, champagne, cocktails, whiskey, etc. It varies city to city.

I get kicks off on single barrel aged rum and cozy feelings about botanical gin.

Sometimes I want a Moscow Mule, that bright copper cup cutting the simple vodka and ginger beer drink within.

Other nights I want a neat wheat whiskey lighting barn fires in my chest and making me hum songs I find burning in my soul.

And then there are the bright evenings and afternoons filled with coconut, pineapple, and tiki glasses filled with Singapore Slings, surrounded by SPF 50, bikinis, sand, beaches, and Knockaround sunglasses.

I bleed golden with the sunshine.

I make every lady around me feel tan, and I absolutely love it.

I sate my mind with constellations at night, and the dreams of tenderness beneath.

If the moon could burn me, I would shine a lovely shimmer of silver.

My favorite compliment I ever received was, "You have the mind of a jazz musician."

And perhaps... that is it. I don't improvise on a horn, on a guitar, or by voice. I improvise life. I have this hard belief that we all should fly by the seat of our pants, and just discover every inch of life.

Why, why, tell me... are we answering phones at 9pm about inconsequential shit?

Why do we turn from our loved ones to text back people asking questions that could just as simply have been answered tomorrow morning?

At what point did we become so giving that we gave up our own personal lives to please everyone over everything?

I wonder why.

Maybe this is my anthem that, I get it... We will conquer the world and our environment around it. I, however, feel a need to carve a little bit of time out for myself.

My semi-vacation next week is that. I need it. I'm wondering how many hours a ginger can sleep on a padded poolside bench before someone comes up and freaks out about my potential sunburn.

(I'm wearing SPF 50.)

I just want to put on a good pair of Bose headphones, lie down under the sun, lie by the beach, and find good beer, good Cuban sandwiches, and perhaps, a good local hand rolled cigar that I can tell you beautiful dreamers about.

I want to follow my feet to this summer. It will be, without a doubt, a beautiful one. I know this because my feet... they're itching towards June.

There's a hop farm festival, there's my sister's 30th, there's Foothills' taproom party, there's my grandparents, aunt and uncle as well, coming into town, and my high school best friend's wedding.

There's sunshine, warm water, and a whole lot of Buzz City's Finest.

The world is my oyster in 2015, and it's just now opening up.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers